Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bible Study 1 John 2:2




                  (1 John 2:2 ESV)
"He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world."


Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We will pick back up in God's word. Today we will be looking at this verse and will no doubt make you think about this particular verse more than maybe you had before.

I do not hide the fact that I hold to the 5 points of Calvinism (http://www.monergism.com/directory/link_category/Doctrines-of-Grace/The-Five-Points-of-Calvinism/ )


That being said this verse comes up a lot in the discussion. For those who are not familiar with the debate please look at the link I posted above so you can see what the Calvinist believes. The third point of Calvinism sometimes called "Limited Atonement" is among the most controversial of all the points. Before we move on I would like to make it clear that I do NOT divide with those who disagree with Calvinism. I may not agree with my Arminian brothers I do respect them greatly and realize there are many who come to my blog who reject Calvinism.  

However when going through books of the Bible we interpret scripture through our theological system. If you are an Arminian you are going to view scriptures in a certain theological system. Same goes for Calvinists. That being said I must be faithful to the text and will be giving what I feel is the most Biblically accurate view of this scripture.




Those wanting to learn more about Calvinism please watch this series as one of the best defenders of Reformed theology explains each of the points in detail (http://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/chosen_by_god/)

Also

(http://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/what_is_reformed_theology/introduction-4/)

As a Calvinist I do not believe the Bible teaches that Jesus died for every single person rather I believe that Jesus died only for His elect. I think the scriptures clearly teach this.

Here is apiece from a great article written on some of the scriptures that teach Jesus died for the elect:

("He was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of My people" - Isaiah 53:8; "He shall save His people from their sins" - Matt. 1:21);

for His sheep ("I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep." - John 10:11 - note that Jesus categorically states that some are not His sheep - "but you do not believe because you are not My sheep." - John 10:26)

for His friends ("Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends. You are My friends if you do what I command you." - John 15:13-14;

for the Church ("... the church of God, which He obtained with His own blood."- Acts 20:28; "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her, that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her..." - Eph. 5:25, 26).

Indeed, as God allows us to gain a glimpse into the future, Revelation 5:9 reveals the song of the throngs of heaven as they sing to the Lamb upon His throne, "And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the scroll and to open its seals, for You were slain, and by Your blood You ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation." Notice that it does not say that He ransomed everybody in every tribe, etc., but that He ransomed people for God from every tribe, tongue, people and nation." (
http://www.reformationtheology.com/2005/10/understanding_1_john_22_by_pas.php)

I would really suggest those wanting to dig deeper to look into this paper and will see this doctrine explained and in the comments section will see the many objections to it answered.

The purpose of this Bible study is  more for a daily devotion so I will put this issue on the table and point you to resources that will help you become better equipped.
Here is a lecture by Dr. Sproul on limited atonement.


I pray that some of these resources will help explain the reformed view on limited atonement. 
I had grown up in a system believing that Jesus died for every person. However I think in light of scripture I have no problem believing the Bible clearly teaches limited atonement.




Here is a great 7 minute video that will summarize what the Calvinist view of limited Atonement is. 


Controversy aside, we see the sinless Son Of God making satisfaction for us on the Cross. Every other system believes they must do something to please the deity so they offer works to please their god. However the God of the Bible tells us our works will do nothing to save us because from Adam we have been separated from God (Romans 5:12).  We read:
                  Romans 4:25 
"He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification."

               Romans 5:10 
"For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

              Romans 8:32 
"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

            Romans 8:34 
"Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us."

          Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Because God has justified us when we trust on the work of Jesus Christ on the Cross the debt has been paid and we have been forgiven!


Think on these wonderful truths today and take time  to thank Him For His grace and goodness to us who did not deserve it.  Take time to share the gospel with a co-worker or friend today and tell then the amazing things God has done.

Sola Deo Gloria!

No comments:

Post a Comment